There are Knights Castle, ancient ruins and Byzantine monasteries, windmills, picturesque beaches and wonderful hiking trails in Halki. And along with all that, there is a beautiful listed village, Niborio. What is missing, though it’s a stride from Rhodes, is mass tourism. Halki deliberately chose the path of mild tourism development and provide everything what should offer any place that respects its inhabitants and visitors. The island is located west of Rhodes, only 5 nautical miles Armenistis Cape of the last. It is 230 miles from the port of Piraeus. With an area of only 27 square kilometers Halki is one of the smaller islands of the Dodecanese with 490 permanent residents. The highest points are Merovigli (601 m) in the northeastern part and Prophet Elias (579 m) in the center of the island. Among them there are plains and valleys such as Kissos, Pontamos, Lentaki and Zion, which were famous in antiquity for their grain.
The only inhabited area on the island today is the listed settlement Niborio, built in sheltered cove of the east coast.
NIBORIOS. Its construction began in 1850 when the risk of pirate raids disappeared and flourished immediately because of trade with the opposite coast of Asia Minor. Visit the church of St. Nicholas with its wonderful pebbled yard and the tallest spire in the Dodecanese. Admire the Town Hall, which upper floor retains the look old mansion of Halki. See also the building of post office in Italian rationalism style and the clock tower. Finally, walk at the waterfront and the narrow streets of the capital. Nowhere on the Dodecanese could you see so many mansions together. Most of them are with high ceilings, two or three floors, complex pediment and tiled roofs.
CASTLE ΟF THE KNIGHTS. It was built in a place of ancient fort on the hill of Agios Nikolas by the Frank Knights of St. John, in the mid 14th century. It was in Franks hands until 1522 and, after the fall of Rhodes, was taken by the Ottomans. You can approach the castle via a path which ascends from the church of Panagia in Chorio. It takes 20 minutes and a foot path is a bit steep.
CHORIO. The now abandoned settlement below the castle of the Knights was the old capital of Halki until 1850 then Niborio was built. The last residents left from here in 1970. Some of the ruins, visible over the ashlar, are dating back to Hellenistic and Roman times. Around Chorio, there are the small monasteries of Agia Triada, Agios Konstantinos and the vaulted church of Panagia Choriani, with a huge cypress tree. See the old school and the church of Metamorfosis inside Chorio.
PALARNIOTI OR PANORMITIS MONASTERY. The monastery is located on north side of Chorio and has panoramic views. Its church, dedicated to Archangel Michael is narrated with Byzantine frescoes. The first layer goes back to the 13th century and the second in the mid 14th century. Note the geometric shapes of the pebble in the courtyard, and two arches on the roof of the temple, which are interesting examples Dodecanesian masterly art.
ARENTA. Pebbly beach with nice sea bed. The sun sees it for awhile as it is surrounded by big rocks.
YIALI. Secluded beach with white pebbles. You can go there by the footpath from Chorio, by car or by boat.
KANIA. Half an hour's walk from Niborio ends in a beautiful beach with pebbles.
PONTAMOS. The most popular beach of the island, is 10 away from Niborio has umbrellas and enterprise infrastructure.
TRACHIA. The land as it enters the sea is forming two beaches, not far from Pontamos.
FTENAGIA. Small and rocky coast with umbrellas and a tavern. Path goes from Agia Katerini and rural road from Anemomilos.
Rhodes Port: +30 22410 22220
Halki Port: +30 22460 45220
Rural Clinic: +30 22460 45 206
City Hall: +30 22460 45207
Police Station: +30 22460 45213