The two coastal settlements of the island are now a single residential complex. Many houses of Agia Marina are built near the sea and then "climb" on Merovigli hill. In the harbour you will find the ruins of the medieval fortress Bourtzi, the picturesque lighthouse, the big pier with the shipyard and a windmill built on the sea level. Just above the harbour stands the cruciform church of Agia Marina, built in 1933. The neighbouring hill, which is called Apityki, hosts the houses of Platanos and on top of it stands the triple wall of the castle of Mary. Platanos, the administrative centre of the island, owes its name to the tree on Roussou square. In the neighbourhoods of Platanos the island folk architecture co-exists with the neo-classicism of the interwar period.
Imposing buildings lining up on the seafront, a well-designed layout, lots of trees and public parks are the distinctive features of this town, which has little resemblance to other islands in Greece. Lakki was a fishing village before 1912 and the occupation of the Dodecanese from the Italians. They founded a dockyard here and then a brand new city named Porto Lago. Take special note of¨
The buildings have a distinctive cubist logic with the complete absence of ornamentation, the blank surfaces and the skylights. They were designed by pioneers of modernism, such as the architects R. Petracco and A. Bernabiti.
PANTELIOU (PANAGIAS) CASTLE
It crowns Apityki hill, over Platanos, and with its presence it controlled the bays of Agia Marina and Panteliou. Today parts of the triple wall, five churches and other dilapidated buildings have survived. The outer perimeter was reinforced in the 15th century by the Knights.
The vast beach of Alinta is the most developed tourist area on the island, with an abundance of hotels, rooms to let, restaurants, bars and water sports facilities. Here you will find the tower Beleni, within which operates a Folklore and Historical museum, and the building of the Municipal Guest House, which was built in the years of the Italian occupation and was the first hotel in Leros.
It is the southernmost village of Leros, with houses scattered in a small valley surrounded by olive, almond and cypress trees. At the top of the adjacent hill are the ruins of the castle. In close proximity you will find the church of Virgin Mary Kavouradena, half of which was built on a recessed seaside rock.
The oldest fort on the island, is strategically located 70 metres above the settlement of Xilokambos. The north-eastern court is extremely secured, built with squared blocks. In the early Christian years a large basilica dominated the top of the hill. This position is currently occupied by a smaller chapel dedicated to Virgin Mary. In its courtyard there are mosaic fragments from the older temple.
AGIA KIOURA (MATRONA)
This church was built in the 18th century north of the settlement Partheni. Notice the icons, as they are far from the clichés of Orthodox iconography. In the years of the Junta, the church was ramshackle, until a group of exiled artists, Tsakiris, Karagiannis and Tzaneteas, with Manolis Glezos, took the initiative to preserve it. Before its occupation, they managed to depict the martyrdom of the saints and the Passion of Christ, inspired by real persons, i.e. their fellow inmates, women of Leros and gendarmes.