CHORA OF PATMOS
It is one of the most impressive settments in the Aegean as many of the grand mansions have been restored, since purchased by wealthy and famous Greeks and foreigners who invested in them. The settlement developed after 1088 then founded the monastery of St. John the Theologian, where the inhabitants could be protected from pirates. The tour through the winding alleys of Chora, with “mando” (stone borders of doors and windows) and vaulted arcades, is like a trip to the past.
MONASTERY OF ST. JOHN THE THEOLOGIAN
It was founded in 1088, by Saint Christodoulos Latrinos. During its long history the monastery has played a dominant role on the island of Patmos and is considered one of the most important monuments in Greece. With constant additions to buildings and extensions, it took the imposing form we see today. It is also considered comparable with the monasteries of Mount Athos
THE MUSEUM OF THE MONASTERY
Click on the link www.googleartproject.com/collection/patmos-monastery/museumview and you can do a virtual tour of the famous museum of the monastery of St. John the Theologian and places of residence. It joined the Google Art Project in spring of 2013. The museum houses valuable treasures of Orthodoxy: chrysobulls, incunabula, old Bibles and scrolls, vestments, silverware, icons. You can visit it when the monastery is open. Tel. +30 22470 20800.
THE CAVE OF THE APOCALYPSE
On the main road between Skala (port) and Chora, visitors stop to see the famous cave where, according to Christian legend, John, exiled by the Romans, dictated his Revelation to his disciple Prochorus, after visions he had, in 95 AD. Because of God revealed to John (“ ... great as a trumpet voice, saying”), the cave is considered God-trodden. The cave is connected with the monastery of the Apocalypse including the church of Agia (St.) Anna and was built by St. Christodoulos, St. Artemios and St. Nikolaos.
THE HOLY "SEATS"
In Patmos the monks’ hermitages are called “seats” ("kathismata" in Greek). Originally they were located in caves and consisted of a single cell or a small temple. Over the years, they obtained auxiliary space.
SKALA (THE PORT)
The settlement was founded in 1600 as a port for goods storage and safe approach of ships of the monastery of St. John the Theologian. It is the financial and commercial center of the island and has shops, services, hotels, restaurants, bars. This port is considered very safe and has a marina for yachts and sailboats. Houses built during the Occupation here were influenced by Italian architecture.
The nunnery in the southwest of the island resembles a fortress. Here was the “seat” of Evangelistria church, a temple and a cell where the hermits lived. In the early 17th century, a Cretan monk of the monastery of St. John, Nikiforos, lived here. He founded the church of St. Luke, adorned with icons of the great painters the church of Evangelistria, built defensive towers to protect the monastery and the church of Agios Antonios. In the later period, the important role played the abbot of the monastery of Theologian, Amfilohos Makris, who envisioned the creation of a special monastery.
In the beautifully preserved 18th-century building in Chora you will admire the interior of an old Patmian house with the "fournario", the cisterns, the chapel, the bedrooms, the hall and the upper yards. Signs written by the archaeologists contain interesting information. The museum is organized by the Archaeological Service.
Tel.: + 30 22470 32709